We believe that we live, work, and play in one of the best places on Earth. Carroll County, Maryland is the place where we have lived the majority of our lives, where we chose to raise our children, and where we are building our business. We want our business to be about more than just phone systems, security cameras, cabling, and all the other services we provide. Being a part of the fabric of the community that has given us so much is a top priority.
So, what have we been up to recently? Here are some of the highlights over the last several months.
- In July, TCC Telecom helped sponsor the Carroll County Chamber of Commerce annual golf tournament. Matt served on the tournament committee, and we were the sponsors of the snack bags. The morning of the event we were out there bright and early passing out bags to the approximately 140 participants! We’ve also been attending as many networking events held by the Chamber as our schedule allows.
- We love Habitat for Humanity! We’ve been lucky enough to volunteer with them twice recently. At the end of July we had a blast as guest bartenders at Habitat Day at Maggie’s restaurant, selling 50/50 raffle tickets. In September we also got to help out by manning the Habitat booth at the Maryland Wine Festival, educating people about what Habitat does and how they can get involved.
- Meagan has been attending the Women in Tech Round-tables through the Carroll County Tech Council. This is a wonderful group of women who are meeting with the purpose to support each other and to encourage girls and young women not to shy away from entering technology fields. Currently in the works are tentative plans to host a design challenge for girls in grades 6 to 8.
- Both Matt and Meagan are still busy studying at Carroll Community College. Matt passed his A+ Certification test and is currently working on preparing for his Network+ and CCENT certifications. Meagan is planning on completing her Associates Degree in Business Administration in the Spring.
- The Etner family has been going to FallFest for over a decade. It is hands down one of our favorite downtown events. This year, we were lucky enough to not only attend, but to be able to volunteer at the event. We worked with Human Services Programs, Inc. at the dime toss booth!
- Some other local events we’ve been able to attend recently were the ribbon cutting ceremony for Springdale Preparatory School (can we take a minute to appreciate the fact that Carroll County now has a boarding school!) and the Carroll County Commissioner’s breakfast at the Finksburg branch of the Carroll County Public Library where we got to hear Commissioner Richard Weaver speak.
- As a small, local business we try our hardest to support other small, local businesses. Some of our favorite Carroll County spots are Molli’s Café in downtown Westminster. Matt’s favorites are their hot dogs and their buffalo chicken panini (otherwise known as the Matty E), while Meagan’s favorite is the shrimp salad sandwich. Some other spots we frequent are Blue’s Bistro and Cinco De Mayo (try the fajitas or the flautas – you’ll thank us!). It also isn’t fall without a trip to Baugher’s for apple picking. And our weekly grocery shopping isn’t complete without a stop at Miller’s Market in Manchester to stock up on bacon and other great cuts of meat.
- We feel lucky to not just be part of the Carroll County community, but also a member of the Maryland community as a whole. Our state has a lot to offer, and we love to experience it all. We made several trips to OCMD the last few months. One of our favorite places to stay while we’re there (when we’re not staying with friends) is at the Castle in the Sand. We also love to hike, and some of the best views can be found hiking at Catoctin Mountain Park or Killgore Falls.
We truly do love where we live! If you have any favorite, local events, restaurants, hiking or walking trails, or other hot spots, please share them with us! We are always on the lookout for something new to try. You can also connect with us on our Facebook page.